Select the Best Garage Door Type04/09/2014 Back To Blog
Garage doors differ based on how they move. Some slide up and some roll up! There are sectional and sliding doors and doors that will open like regular ones or fold up and move over and along the ceiling. So, when it is time for garage door replacement, you will have a lot of studying to do. You are not only called to choose materials, possibly new openers and springs but you most definitely need to select the right garage door type.
People, who are just replacing the existing door, will probably go with the same type of door if the current one has been convenient. Though, in some cases it has been noticed that homeowners like to make fundamental changes. They like to switch from up and over doors to an overhead door and that won't be a problem as long as you have the space for it. This is actually the crucial question for those installing a new door for the first time. Taking the right measurements at your garage is vital or you might end up purchasing a door that won't fit well and, thus, won't open properly.
Differences among door types
The way the door opens will help you decide whether it is suitable for your home. So, it's best to measure the dimension of your ceiling, outer parts of the house and driveway to ensure your choice is right.
* Overhead doors are the most common solution since they slide up through and move along the ceiling.
* If you have limited ceiling space, go for roll up doors.
* You can also get swing-out doors, which open outwards, or up and over doors, which extend outward before moving along the ceiling. Though, these types need space in the driveway.
* The sliding doors also move in tracks and recently they can also bend at the corners of the house but you still need some space at the side part.
* Most types of doors can be sectional, which means they will consist of different panels and it will be easier to replace them.